In today’s ever changing world, the idea of staying safe is important; whether you’re traveling or just want to be able to keep your home/business safe and protect those that are close to you, being able stay safe is crucial. Ottawa home security services that includes home automation and up to the minute expert surveillance services is a large part of the puzzle, but there’s also a need to not overlook a very simple yet important element related to safety…door locks.
There are many different types of door locks out there to choose from which are able to offer varying levels of security, but the idea of just having quality and secure door locks is key, pardon the pun. Making sure to change your locks after certain instances or certain periods of time have passed is something to consider as well. Here are some reasons why you would want to regularly change your doors’ locks:
- “If you lose your house keys, one of the first things you’ll want to do is to have the locks changed. After all you have no idea where they might end up. Even if your keys are returned by an apparently good Samaritan, you can never be sure that they weren’t copied first.
- If you’re moving into a new home, you’ll want new keys as well. It’s impossible to know how many keys the previous owners gave out or what kind of friends they may have had. It’s better to be safe than sorry and change all the locks.
- If you ask neighbors to check on the house while you’re away, change the locks whether you get the keys back or not. While you may trust the person you gave the key to, you have no way of knowing if someone less scrupulous had access to the key.
- If you’ve given out spare keys to repairmen or other service people and don’t get the keys back, change the locks. Again it’s a case of never being sure who might have access to the keys.
- If you’re going through a separation or divorce change the locks. As much as we may feel we trust the other person and want an amicable divorce, emotions run high and possessions can become an area of contention. You don’t want to come home to find half your belongings gone.
- If you have room mates, the same rule applies. When they leave, change the locks. You may trust them but it’s impossible to know what will happen to that key once they’re gone. You don’t want to return home after a weekend away to find out that an acquaintance of your ex roommate held a party for a hundred of their closest friends.
- If your locks are old or difficult to work it’s time to replace them. Worn locks can fail or at the very least you may find yourself locked out.”
To learn more about the importance of home security make sure to contact Henderson, your Ottawa home/business security specialist.